A six-year-old girl was among three people killed when a 6.8-magnitude earthquake struck the southern Philippines island of Mindanao yesterday on November 15.
The girl was inside her family’s house when the building collapsed and killed her, the province’s governor.
Fire Service director chief superintendent Samuel Tadeo confirmed the three deaths and also said a market in Padada had collapsed.
Loss adjusters, insurers, reinsurers and brokers will be assessing the damage and providing support for customers.
The island is a popular tourist destination, and videos posted on social media showed hotel pools overflowing and mass evacuations of shoppers from malls.
Residents reported schools had been severely damaged — luckily empty of students at the time, as the quake happened on a Sunday. Governor Douglas Cagas of the island’s Davao del Sur province said a three-story building had also collapsed.
Classes have now been suspended for today, and bridges closed due to cracks, Davao city officials said.
The country’s president Rodrigo Duterte was at his home in Davao, the largest city on the island, at the time of the quake, reported state-run Philippine News Agency. He was unhurt, although his house reportedly “sustained several cracks in the walls.”
 

Leave a Reply

e: [email protected] | t: +852-8191-5120 (hong kong) | t2: 050-5806-7296 (from japan)