Dangerous bushfires in northern New South Wales and Queensland have caused A$145 million (US$98.4 million) of losses for insurers.
The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) has said 1,340 insurance claims have so far been lodged for the catastrophic bushfires that spread across New South Wales mid-north coast, the Gold Coast in Queensland, and the Yeppoon region.
“We are expecting many more claims to flow through over the next few days and weeks,” Campbell Fuller,  ICA’s spokesman, told News Corp Australia.
The government is freeing up A$48 million (US$32.6 million in response. The community recovery package – a joint federal and state government initiative – was announced yesterday (November 24) and includes grants of up to A$15,000 (US$10,180) to help small businesses and farmers.
Australia’s catastrophic bushfire started early this year. Just last month, the bushfires that affected NSW’s Rappville was also marked a catastrophe; fires destroyed over 115,000 hectares and insured losses are estimated at A$25 million (around US$17 million).
The state’s Bureau of Meteorology however, has frequently highlighted Australia’s high risk of longer and intensified bushfire seasons as a result of climate change’s contribution to extreme heat events in the country; last year, the country experienced its hottest summer on record.

Leave a Reply

e: [email protected] | t: +852-8191-5120 (hong kong) | t2: 050-5806-7296 (from japan)